The History of the Gourdon Lifeboats (RNLI)
1878 – 1892 The Young George Irlam Coxswain: James Moir
Coxswain: David Lownie
1892 – 1915 Theophilus Sidney Echalez
Coxswain: John Ritchie
Coxswain: Alexander Anderson
Coxswain: James Moir
Coxswain: John Cargill
1915 – 1936 Moss Coxswain: Charles Moir
Coxswain: George Milne
1936 – 1952 Margaret Dawson Coxswain: George Milne
Coxswain: William Cargill
Coxswain: John G. Souter
1952 – 1969 Edith Clawson Thue Coxswain: John G. Souter
Coxswain: James Dorward
2nd Coxswain: Roy Souter
The Gourdon lifeboat station opened in 1878 and closed in 1969 after 91 years of service to the “Wild and Rocky Coast” of Kincardineshire.
The Kincardineshire coastline is now serviced by the RNLI lifeboats from Montrose and Aberdeen.
Service and Rescue
The Young George Irlam 1883 – 1892 saw the shortest period of service
The Gourdon inshore surf boat Maggie Law saw service from 1890 – 1930 and saved 36 lives.
Built by James (Jeems) Mowatt, commissioned and maintained by the fishermen of Gourdon.
The Theophilus Sidney Echalez 1892 - 1919, had the longest period of service on station, and had the highest number of rescues.
This panel is dedicated to the invaluable heritage contribution made by Roy Souter, who meticulously transcribed and preserved the records of the Gourdon Lifeboats, for the book “Call Out” which is a complete and detailed account of the service records of the Gourdon Lifeboats
from 1878 – 1969.
For further information go to: